MINES AND METALLURGICAL ACADEMY - MISSOURI UNIVERSITY OF SCIENCE AND TECHNOLOGY
A. Active members shall be limited to individuals duly elected and subject to the following conditions and considerations:
B. Honorary members shall be limited to deceased individuals subject to the following condition:
1. Not more than two deceased alumni per year, who during their lifetime, distinguished themselves as leaders in the field of engineering, their communities and the Missouri School of Mines, University of Missouri – Rolla or Missouri University of Science and Technology, shall be remembered and honored at each induction ceremony.
C. Nominations of members:
1.The Chairman of the Nominating Committee shall ask the membership for nominations. University departments are encouraged to suggest potential nominees. Those suggested University department nominees must be nominated by a member of the Academy. To be considered, nominees must meet all membership criteria established under I.A.1 & 2 of these by-laws and shall be accompanied by documentation substantiating their qualifications.
2. The Nominating Committee shall review, determine eligibility and forward their recommendations to the Officers of the Executive Committee who will send the recommendations to the membership for final approval. Page 2 of 4
3. Nominees, if not elected in the year nominated, shall be reviewed for membership for two additional years. If not elected after being reviewed for three years, they may not be re-nominated for membership for five more years.
D. Election of members:
1. Election shall be by written ballot of all members.
2. The Nominating Committee shall be responsible for the conduct of elections, including the establishment of appropriate dates.
3. The Executive Committee will certify those nominees with at least four-fifths of the ballots marked with “approval as eligible for membership”.
4. Nominees, who fail to be inducted after being elected in the year approved for membership, shall be re-invited for membership for two additional years. If not inducted after being invited for three years, the nomination for membership shall be withdrawn.
A. The officers of the Academy shall consist of a Chair, Vice-Chair and one Department Chair from the following departments: Materials Science and Engineering, Mining and Nuclear Engineering and Geological Sciences and Engineering. Each Department Chair shall serve a two year term and then be replaced by the Chair of one of the other two departments. Once all three department chairs have served the rotation shall start over.
B. Terms of office of officers and members-at-large of the Executive Committee will be for two years.
C. Two members-at-large will be elected each year to serve for a two-year term. Thus there will be four members-at-large on the Executive Committee.
D. The School of Mines and Metallurgy Legacy Committee shall provide staff support to the School of Mines and Metallurgy Academy. A representative from University Advancement shall serve the Academy in an Advisory role.
A. Executive Committee
B. Nominating Committee
C. Student Affairs and Scholarships
D. Strategic Planning
A. Meetings of the membership
Governance of the Mines and Metallurgy Academy rests solely with the, Chairs and Faculty of the Materials Science and Engineering, Mining and Nuclear Engineering and Geological Sciences and Engineering departments, Vice Provost Academic Affairs Chancellor of the Missouri University of Science and Technology, and the Board of Curators of the University of Missouri.
Approved: April 27, 1995
Amended: April 20, 2006
Amended: January 1, 2008
Amended: April 22, 2010